Friday, February 10, 2012

An Evil Day and A Blessed Day


Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Several funerals over the past couple of weeks meant that a few sprays
of beautiful flowers were given to our church for display on the Lord's
day. Some of them were breathtakingly beautiful. I recall some
previous verses:

Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

6 deaths of people we know, either from our church, our family, our community or from the service of the Lord, have kept us amazed at our mortality.

Like those in the days of Noah, or in the days of Lot, as Jesus taught us, folks were going about their lives as if there was no eternity for which to prepare. We eat and drink, plant and reap and do our business, with hardly a heavenly glance. And then, BOOM, the stroke comes that does us in!

The fact is, we don't know what craziness a day holds. I plan to study, work, attempt to be a blessing to a few people, love my family, eat some good food, watch some TV. But God always has a few surprises in store… a call from an old friend, a flat tire, a leaky roof, a pink slip, or a call from law enforcement that a loved one is gone. You just never know.

So, it pays to keep short accounts. Be ready for the inevitable. Live as if each day could be the last. Live, learn, love, and do it with your whole heart. Most of all, trust God and serve Him, a daily investment in eternity for which we will not be sorry.

But don't worry about things. As they say, there are two rules: 1) Don't sweat the small stuff and 2) It's all small stuff. If we keep ourselves in the place of God's blessing, we know that He has our best interests at heart. He has put His Spirit within us, His hand upon us, His angels all around us and His promises before us. So what is there to worry about? Nada tostada enchilada!

Jesus tells us here that we ought to leave tomorrow up to the Lord, we have enough to say grace over today without borrowing from tomorrow's surprises.

I don't know about tomorrow;
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to grey.
I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said.
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what lies ahead.

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

Every step is getting brighter
As the golden stairs I climb;
Every burden's getting lighter,
Every cloud is silver-lined.
There the sun is always shining,
There no tear will dim the eye;
At the ending of the rainbow
Where the mountains touch the sky.

I don't know about tomorrow;
It may bring me poverty.
But the one who feeds the sparrow,
Is the one who stands by me.
And the path that is my portion
May be through the flame or flood;
But His presence goes before me
And I'm covered with His blood.


Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

Mary Church said...

This is what I am reading in my daily Scripture reading.... people ask me what I will do when , or if Dave passes away.... I just tell them that The Lord gave me this place to work and live, and He will supply me all that I need... Love you