Thursday, December 3, 2009

Bridle that Tongue!


Jas 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

Have you ever tried to get the bit and bridle on a horse? It can be a real challenge, especially when the horse has no desire to be controlled or ridden. If videos had been taken of the times I have tried to fit a horse with a bridle, AFV would have loved to have had the footage!

As hard as it is to get an obstinate horse fitted with a mechanism that makes it behave, it is even harder to get our sinful nature to accept the bit and bridle for the tongue.

This little member, the tongue, ignites huge fires. It produces a world of iniquity and defiles our whole bodies. It is set on fire of hell! See what Pastor James has to say about the tongue in chapter 3, verses 2-8.

He also states that no man can tame the tongue. Therefore, for me to keep my tongue from hurting myself and others today, I am going to have to get that bit and bridle in place and hand the reigns over to God. Indeed, He must be the One sovereign over the words of my mouth throughout the day.

Heavenly Father, Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. Amen!

No comments: