Friday, September 17, 2010

The Glory of the Lord

Eze 43:2 And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory. 3 And it was according to the appearance of the vision which I saw, even according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city: and the visions were like the vision that I saw by the river Chebar; and I fell upon my face.

In my dailies, I had just read three very tedious chapters about Ezekiel's vision of a new temple in Jerusalem a full 50 years before the end of the captivity. I have to confess, reading chapters 40, 41 and 42 were like swimming in peanut butter. Honestly, I was longing for the excitement of I Chronicles were 5 sons did Milcah bare. :<)

But in chapter 43, the glory of the Lord sweeps in and fills the place, and the prophet, and the chapter, and me!

It got me to thinking, no matter how ornate or costly the building, without the presence of the Lord, it is just brick and mortar.

How many churches dot our landscape where "same ol', same ol'" is the service du jour? Song, song, prayer, song moves into a homily as the tune to "Beautiful Dreamer" occupies the heads of not a few of the congregants.

What the churches need is precious reviving showers of the blessing of the presence of God in demonstration of power!

Oh, God of heaven, sweep into our services. May every meeting evidence your powerful presence. May the prophet behind the pulpit give forth a revelation from thee. Amen!

No comments: