Friday, August 7, 2009

The Spirit of Fear


2Ti 1:6-7 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Have you ever pulled the covers over your head early in the morning afraid to face the day? Perhaps the crippling fear you have of the day has a name; maybe a tough situation you face at work, a tough decision you have to make, a difficult test, or a confrontation you must endure. And it could be that your fear is without a name, you simply dread the day, loathing an unidentified possibility.

Often, we are fearful of our future, long or short term.

Know that our God is not the author of that dread. He has not produced in us that spirit of fear. His plan for us is to face our circumstances with power, love and a sound mind. Moreover, He has gifted us and is prepared to stir up that gift that is within us to minister for Him.

I awoke one morning recently with that crippling fear that kept my morning from progressing well. There was really no cause for my trepidation, other than the enemy whispering in my ear that it's going to be a bad day.

It wasn't until I spent time in the Word and then some serious prayer time in which I asked God to fill me with His Holy Spirit that He gave me a holy boldness to face the day with power, love and sensibility.

Now, I will be completely honest... that recent morning was just 3 hours ago. I am thanking God for the tremendous confidence He has granted me from our verses for today. I am ready to charge the day in the power of His Spirit, oh, and a few ibuprophen!

No comments: