Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Even This Could Have Been Forgiven


John 18:19 The high priest then asked Jesus of his disciples, and of his doctrine. 20 Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing. 21 Why askest thou me? ask them which heard
me, what I have said unto them: behold, they know what I said. 22 And when he had thus spoken, one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand, saying, Answerest thou the high priest so? 23 Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?


This slap in the face of the Savior, those who spit on Him, or mocked Him, those who gambled for His robe or drove the nails, it is hard to imagine, but Jesus prayed that they be forgiven for their ignorance. We don’t know if this man got his eyes opened the next day at Calvary, but he may well have.

I am not always as Christ like as I should be. I say let this guy burn, let ‘em all fry! But they really did think they were doing God a favor. Jesus said that they didn't know what they were doing. Forgiveness belonged to this man, if he would accept it. The same blood that poured from the Lord's body that would wash His sin away is the blood offered for you and me. The difference? His sin was in ignorance. Many of our sins are a slap in the face of the Lord, knowing full well we are breaking God's law!

Yet, God loves us, He forgives us, He shows mercy and grace. We are rotten to the core, yet we remain the apple of His eye!

Amazing stuff!

No comments: