Saturday, December 22, 2012

The Precious, Wonderful Gift of God



Jn 4:10  Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

The time of lavish gift-giving is upon us. Our love is demonstrated as we sacrifice to give to those who mean the most to us. 

Thomas A Kempis wisely quipped, “A wise lover values not so much the gift of the lover as the love of the giver.”

We notice in John 3:16 that God SO LOVED the world, that He gave His unique and precious Son that we might have everlasting life. How much did He love us? SO much that He gave us Jesus.

Can I be open and honest? We spent a lot of money for our kids on just a very few gifts. When they get mean and ornery, I ask myself, “Do they deserve what we have done for them?” Well, no more than I deserve the Gift of Jesus Christ and the eternal life that He purchased for me on the Cross. It is not about being deserving of a gift, it is about being loved by the Giver. If it was a matter of deserving, then it would cease to truly be a gift.

Giving gifts is a matter of grace, the bestowing of that which is undeserved.

Tomorrow, knowing history and the way they do things, I suspect my church will call me to the platform after the morning service and the deacon will present me with some lavish gift. My thought will be, “I am an unprofitable servant. I have done that which was my duty to do (barely).”  But, I will humbly accept their gift of love and try not to frit it away, but to use it in a worthy manner.

Our Lord was the very first of the lavish Christmas gift Givers, when He wrapped His Son in human flesh and sent Him to the tree of Calvary. I am so totally undeserving, for I often get mean and ornery, as well as disobedient. But I am so very appreciative of that unspeakable Gift. I don’t wish to frit it away but appropriate my Gift in a worthy manner. 

“The only gift is a portion of thyself.” R.W. Emerson. 

Thank you, Lord, for your wonderful, sacrificial, lavish Gift given that very first Christmas, the Gift that keeps on giving.

No comments: