Thursday, April 14, 2011

O Brother, Where Art Thou?


Mat 12:46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him. 47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. 48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

I pastored a little church on the eastern Colorado plains. Let me rephrase that, I did my time in the desert. Those people fought about everything. You heard about churches fighting about the color of the carpet? These folks would fight about anything at the drop of a hat. You could cut the drama with a knife when you went into that building.

The only reason they called me was because each side thought they could control this young pup and make him take their side in all the arguments.

Then, I said something in the pulpit that turned grandpa's side against me. (Grandpa was the old illiterate deacon who was about as spiritual as a rattlesnake just coming out of hibernation). In my preaching I said that Jesus was our elder brother. They called me a heretic!

But here I see that anyone who does the will of the Father is brother, sister or mother to Jesus. Praise the Lord!

I hope G-pa Henderson made it to heaven, I really do. There, he would have found out that our Savior does wish to have a personal relationship with us unlike anything we can imagine. And that relationship only deepens through our obedience to Him. It is a familial relationship in which we get to be called mom, sis and bro to the dear Savior.

I'll say "yes, Lord, yes" to your will and to your way
I'll say "yes, Lord, yes" I will trust you and obey
When your spirit speaks to me
With my whole heart I'll agree
And my answer will be "yes, Lord, yes!"

No comments: