Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Ashamed of the Brethren?



Heb 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

Heb 2:12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee.

Alright, I admit it... I look around at my brethren and "sistern" and get a little embarrassed, as, I am sure, the feelings are sometimes mutual.

I witness the incredible lack of soul winning effort, the ease at which some of believerdom sell out the Lord for a mess of pottage, and the lackadaisical worship and half-hearted service. I see the tremendous hypocrisy, self-centeredness, the emotional neediness and am ashamed to call many of the family "brethren."

Today, I am ashamed to call myself one of the brethren, having read the prescribed verses. Jesus is not afraid to be lumped in with us losers who have been sanctified by His work on Calvary. He is not ashamed to call me a brother. I could think of better titles; unprofitable servant, worthless slave, wandering sheep, doubting Gary, unfaithful one, but when I am called "brother," He doesn't even wince!

In the church service, as I am told in verse 12, He sidles right up next to me and bellows out tunes of praise as I think of everything but the words of the hymn at hand. His harmony makes my song worthy and acceptable to Heaven's throne.

Thank you, dear Saviour, for counting me worthy to be called a sainted sibling, a blessed brother. I can only imagine how your physical half-brothers must have felt trying to measure up. Alas, I fall short of your glory, but you don't stress over that, you just accept me. Thanks!

Please help me to be a little more patient with my little brothers who just don't seem to "get it."

No comments: