Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What is my Purpose?


Ps 39:4 LORD, make me to know mine end, and the measure of my days, what it is; that I may know how frail I am.

Do you have those days when you wonder why you are even on the earth? Sometimes we feel that our parents sure made a mistake in conceiving us. Yet, with God, we are anything but an accident. God made us for a clear purpose. He knows our life before it is even lived and He has great plans for us. Much will unfold before us as we trod the pathway in which He directs us, and much more will be veiled until we reach heaven’s shore. Then we shall know, even as we are known.
My little girl, 6, failed her vision test at school the other day. She was informed that she would need to see an eye doctor. She may have to wear glasses. Her response to this, “I wish I was never born!” In her little world, this was the worst thing that could ever happen. That is, until her fashionable aunt told her how cool glasses are and that she wants to shop with her for them. Now she is gung ho about corrective lenses.
Funny how we adults are like that, every little eventuality that doesn’t match exactly with our agenda throws us into a tizzy, but in the end, we find that God’s plan wasn’t so bad after all.
God’s plan and purpose for us is much better than the one we could ever arrange.
David realizes a few things about life:

1. Our days are relatively short
"my days are as an handbreadth, mine age is nothing before thee."
2. So much of what we do is empty and worthless
"every man at his best state is altogether vanity."
3. Much of what we work for ends up in somebody else's bank account.
"he heapeth up riches, and knoweth not who shall gather them."

Then, he asks, “So, what am I here for?” "And now, Lord, what wait I for?"
He then answers his own question:

1. I am here to hope in God. "my hope is in thee." God never disappoints. Putting all our eggs in the "God basket" is a safe investment of our hopes and dreams.
2. I am living a life of forgiven sins. "Deliver me from all my transgressions"
That is, living a clean, rather, a cleansed life. No guilt, no shame, no regret. The blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. Now that's living!
3. I am here to have a good testimony, thereby glorifying God, the chief end of man. "make me not the reproach of the foolish."

Friend, put your hope in the Lord today, rather than in things, people and events. Ask God to wash away your sins in the blood of Jesus and praise Him for His forgiveness. Finally, live for God and glorify Him. How simple, yet how fulfilling!

No comments: